October 16, 2008

Col*lect"or\, n. - one who collects

Webster's Dictionary says a "Collector" is: One who collects things which are separate; esp., one who makes a business or practice of collecting works of art, objects in natural history, etc.

That would make me.......a COLLECTOR! I collect "things". For those of you who have read my profile, you already know this about me. I collect many different types of "things", from antiques, to sea shells. But today, I wanted to share with you my birdhouse collection. I have birdhouses all over my house, inside and out. I am also a bird watcher. Birds and birdhouses just kind of go together, don't you think? So, without further ado, here are some pictures of some of the birdhouses I've collected over the years. I have all sorts of birdhouses, from functional to decorative; made from metal to wood and even a few authentically "homemade" by a bird! And some items are just adorned with birdhouses on them. Take a look.

Decorative:



yes, even a couch pillow or two!:


from candy tins to coaster:







And even a dish towel and table runner:




Seasonal birdhouses: Happy 4th of July!
(but I leave them out all year 'round to show my patriotism! - Go, USA!)



My wooden ones:












metal ones:





ceramic ones:
(the colored one was hand painted by a close friend of mine!)



"beachy" one:






wind chimes:



and wall hangings:



framed art:





But my favorites would have to be the ones the birds made themselves:
(which I've adorned with baskets) The one on the right has an actual abandoned egg in it. I retrieved this nest from a potted plant on my front porch a few years back after the mama bird had, not ONE, but 3 batches of eggs! I've never seen anything like that before. This egg was left after all the babies flew away with their mother. I have kept it undisturbed. Not only for it's beauty, but also for the fear (and smell) of what might be inside.



But what would be the point of having all these birdhouses without some birds among them? So here are some birds that make my house their home:






These are antique framed art in the original frames. These photos do NOT do them justice! And the discoloration of the prints are priceless.




Well, I hope you've enjoyed strolling through my birdhouse gallery.

What types of things do YOU collect? I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a comment!

Have a blessed day. And remember:

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life?
Matthew 6:25 - 27









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My gosh, what a collection!! Love it!!