October 20, 2008

Banana Nut Bread

OK, this is my first attempt at sharing a recipe. I was very careful to be thorough, so if you choose to make this for yourself or your family, it should turn out like the final photos. This recipe is one of my family's favorites, although, my youngest son would MUCH prefer I leave the pecans out!!!

Banana Nut Bread

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped pecans
2/3 c. sugar
2 or 3 very ripe bananas



Sift flour and measure



Add baking powder



Add baking soda


Add salt

Sift dry ingredients together



Place shortening in a seperate bowl



With mixer on low speed, gradually add sugar to shortening and cream until fluffy





Add 1 egg


Start mixing on low speed, then beat to medium speed until smooth and light; about 30 seconds.

Add second egg and repeat



Add pecans



Mash bananas to measure 1 cup



Add flour mixture alternately with bananas; about half of each at a time.


Mix at low speed, just until blended, after all has been added.


Pour into greased loaf pan. (I use butter flavor PAM)



Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 55 minutes. (Ovens may vary - you may want to start checking on it after 45 minutes)

The top of the banana nut bread should be medium brown.


Place on wire rack to cool for 15 - 20 minutes


After about 20 minutes, run a knife around the edge and remove from loaf pan onto the wire rack.


Enjoy!


*Note: For better flavor and easier slicing, wrap in waxed paper and keep overnight.


That's what my mother always did (to torture us), but mine never seems to make it to the waxed paper once my family smells it!!

1 comment:

JacTpcMec said...

mmm looks good to me, will have to give it a try