November 10, 2008

Over all good day...

For those three people that actually read my blog........I thought I'd update you on my day.

Today was..............um...........chock full of ups and downs.

It started out GREAT. I took a homemade chocolate cake I baked for my very best friend's birthday to her at work. I surprised her with breakfast, the cake and her birthday presents. She was SO surprised and we got to spend a good hour together. She said it was well worth taking her lunch hour the first hour of work!

Then, I was off to the unemployment office. THAT turned out to be a big JOKE! It's ridiculous. First of all, even though their website said I had to go the the nearest office to take some items, when I got there the lady said, "Yeah. We don't know why it says that. You can do everything on line. And then you can just copy and fax these items to us." I was rather perturbed. Then she proceeded to tell me that once I finished filling everything out online and faxing the other items, that it would be 7 - 14 days before I would get a letter saying whether I was eligible or not. I was thinking........eligible!!! I got laid off!!! How more eligible do I have to be!!??!! But I didn't say that. Then she said after I get the eligibility letter, it would be 7 - 10 more days and I would get a letter from her stating that I could come to...................get ready..................a class on HOW TO FILL OUT JOB APPLICATIONS!!!! I can't imagine what my face must have looked like, but her reaction gave me a good hint. I tried to get control of it as quickly as possible. She could tell I was less than impressed. But she proceeded to tell me that once I "passed" the class (again with the face, I'm sure!) I would then, in approximately ANOTHER 10 days or so, be eligible to get my first check but that I would have to drive all the way to Marianna (72 miles round trip!) each week to sign for it.

OK, Let's think about this...............I was never too keen on applying for unemployment in the first place and now I see that my initial "feelings" about it were dead on! I left there with every intention of getting some kind of job TODAY!!

So, from there I went to my old office. "The guys" said they wanted to take me to lunch. We all had a great time and it was good to see all of them. They are missing me terribly and that's always nice to hear and lunch was wonderful. You just can't beat a good Chinese buffet.

After lunch I headed back to Chipley to pound the pavement. I'll have you know that by 3:00 pm when I went to pick Michael up from school...........I had a job! I'm excited to know that I'll be going to work. I know it's not the "end all, be all" job, but..........it's a job none the less and I'm glad to have it. I've been doing Administrative type work for the last 15 years. And now, I'll just be cashiering. All I have to do is smile, be friendly (which comes naturally to me!) and scan groceries. I'm looking forward to the change.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

Check back soon. I'll try my best to post at least once a week. More if possible.

And.........just to tease you a little.............

My next blog entry is going to be entitled, "The difference between BROWN and BLACK"
Feel free to comment on this. I'd love to hear your ideas on what you think I could be talking about!! And, yes........there WILL be pictures!!!

5 comments:

JacTpcMec said...

three people, me and Tiff are two, and I see other comments, sides you have to start somewhere! Anyway, yeah the faces I make get me in a world of trouble, especially with the people who know me best. I know what it is like to have to find a job like that, it stinks, but the Lord is gracious and always provides for our needs, sometimes it is hard to realize that in the middle of the situation, but when I look back I can really see the Lord's hand!

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to see I got you to post SOMETHING on your blog!! Remember,...,it's supposed to be the "Dave's of your life", NOT the "week of your life" or "month of your life". Part of showmanship(show-woman-ship) is to ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WANTING MORE!!! We all love you and really want to keep up with you. Keep it up, Sis!!

ebworley said...

Thanks for leaving me a comment Jer and Jody. I appreciate it. Hey, Jer- you should add me as one of your favorite blogs so people can click over!! Hint, hint!! haha.

Anyway, Guys - I got some promising leads today. I'll keep you posted. Keep checking in!

I appreciate you both!

Anonymous said...

hey ellen,

currently i'm in denham, la spending the night at a hampton inn. we didn't make it home tonight but will be home tomorrow. glad to hear that you got a job and can't wait to hear all about it.
love ya!

ebworley said...

Hey, K! I'm sure ya'll had a wonderful time, but I'll be glad when you finally get home. It seems like you've been gone a month!

Miss ya!