January 7, 2009

Kentucky Road Trip (Part 2)

You see some pretty interesting things when you travel. We saw two especially interesting, uh, I guess you would call them.......landmarks?! There was this: (at the Alabama/Tennessee line)


And then there was this: (in Tennessee)
"They" say it's a real life size T Rex and the thing behind it to the left is a lift to the top of that mountain.

(Please excuse the quality of these photos. They were taken through a dirty windshield! and going 80 miles an hour. Hey, I did the best I could with the resources I had!)
I just thought this was neat because the trees grow right out the side of the mountain. I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, how much soil can there be inside a mountainside?


The song says, "the sun'll come out tomorrow", but we didn't have to wait that long.
It shown on us for a good fifteen minutes!
Just enough to let us know it was still there......somewhere. It turned shy and hid again behind another cloud for a while.
We stopped in Bowling Green, Kentucky for lunch. Our car had some "soup" too. We only had about 2 1/2 hours left to go. Oh, and the sun finally came out in full force and it was a consistent 50 degree average for three states. Nothing but snoring and slobber from the back seat since our lunch stop. Jimmy and I, we were getting delirious. Everything is funny when you're going on 2 1/2 hours of sleep.
We made excellent time to Kentucky with only 1 fill up, 1 "top off", a 20 minute lunch and three bathroom breaks. We ended up making the trip in 11 hours instead of 12! WooHoo!
Once we got into the mountains good (Tennessee through Kentucky) I saw so many awesome old barns on the mountain sides. I wish I could have photographed them all. It's kind of impossible to do riding down the road at 80 miles an hour! But I deeply appreciated the character of each and every one. I reflected on the time of their raising and then to see the historic skeletons that remained. I wonder about the stories they could tell if I could have only stopped for a spell and interviewed each one. If walls could talk.
Oh, and we drove right through Washington County! Kentucky, that is....
11 hours in the car, 2 1/2 hours of sleep.........my head felt like it could roll right off into the floor board and I kept having to "turn the other cheek" ---- IF you know what I mean!?!
Once in Kentucky real good there were lots of black barns. I was curious to know and had to ask a local about them. I was told that all the black barns are/were tobacco barns and they are black to keep the heat in to dry the tobacco. They were actually kind of pretty. And all the black barns were HUGE!
Hmmm, learn something new every day!
Be sure to tune back in tomorrow. I'll be taking you to the rehearsal dinner!
Until then...................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job so far!!!
Keep um comin'

ebworley said...

Glad you're enjoying the journey so far, Jody. Don't forget to email me your photos!!

Hugs!