August 19, 2009

I have an issue.........

Is it just me, or have you ever found yourself going and doing too much? I have a problem saying, "NO". My husband will be the first one to tell you that I can't say no when people ask me to volunteer to do something. He's told me before that I need to stand in front of a mirror and practice saying, "NO". I don't know, I just hate to disappoint people and I find it difficult to let people down. I mean, they wouldn't have asked me if they didn't really need the help, right?! Or do people ask me to do things because they are aware of my condition? (That of not being able to say no)

Anyway, I suddenly found myself busier than I need to be to stay healthy even and my calendar gagging with things to do, people to see, and to do lists galore. Has anyone else ever felt this way? Or do all of you out there take good care of yourself and discern what you should and shouldn't do? Am I the only one that goes overboard?!

Well, last week, I met myself coming as I was going. I thought I looked familiar, and sure enough as I got a little closer, I realized it was me! So, that's when I knew something had to be done. I mean, that's not healthy to meet yourself coming and going, right?! I have decided, after much prayer and soul searching, that I would release myself from some of my responsibilities. As I prayed and prayed for guidance in this matter, I suddenly felt at ease as a scripture came to mind. And when that happens I KNOW that He is talking to me and leading me. The scripture that came to mind was:

Ecclesiastes 8:15 So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun.

I really believe that we are to do the work of the kingdom, but the Bible also tells us that we are to enjoy life and with that comes some time for refreshment of our bodies and our souls. It is good for us to relax some times. It is not good to always say yes if our whole heart cannot be "in it" because we are completely tired, worn out and stressed out. So, I purged some of my responsibilities and have minimized my load some and I feel so much better for it. I feel bad for letting some folks down, but I have to take care of me.

Has anyone else ever had this dilemma? Do tell. I'd like to know I'm not alone and it's not just me.

OK, enough of this. I'm off for some quality "me" time. I think I'll read a book! Ah, just the thought of that makes my soul smile!

God Bless!

2 comments:

Jody said...

Hey Sis,
So glad to hear you've slowed down a bit. And about this "I can't say NO" garbage,...,Is the ONLY time you say NO is to your brother when he begs you to come visit me at my house??? HA-HA
See,...,you CAN say NO!!
Love you lots

ebworley said...

Didn't reply to this because I didn't think it justified a comment!
Even threatened to make the trip right by myself this last time!

I'm gettin' there.