December 3, 2008

When is enough.......enough?


This morning on the radio they were discussing another sort of, well, I guess you could call it, Christmas tradition. The topic of discussion was, "When do you take down your Christmas decorations?" I was surprised to hear some of the answers. I think I forget, sometimes, that everyone is not like me. I was most surprised to hear one lady say that she has to put all her Christmas decorations away the day after Christmas or she will "be in trouble" with her husband! Ok?! Whatever THAT means. (Poor Mrs. Bah Humbug!)


Anyway, we always do our Christmas decorating the day after Thanksgiving. That's right, you heard me. We do our decorating in our nice, peaceful, Christmas music filled home. Our whole family, together, spending quality time with each other, working together.......while so many others are fighting it out in the stores. It's just not worth it to me. You couldn't get me in a store on Black Friday for anything!


And we take our decorations down on January 2nd. It's the way my Mama always did it and it's the way I've always done it in my home. And it makes complete sense to me. I mean, it's a LOT of work to do all that decorating, so it might as well stay up for at least a month, right?!


What's your tradition on this?


Signed,


Curios about your Christmas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing!!
We did it that way in my home growing up too!!
Oh yeah!!
We grew up in the same family!!
Love Yo Bro

ebworley said...

You are SO funny!

Miss you, love you!

Anonymous said...

I always put it up sometime during Thanksgiving weekend. And I take it down whenever I get the time.
Sometimes it stays up 2 weeks after Christmas and sometimes its only a few days.

Anonymous said...

Surprise! I DO read your blog "sometimes" ...
Loren's a Thanxgiving wkend decorator.
As Anglicans, we've always observed the weeks of Advent (ideally, the decs wouldn't go up until Christmas Eve -- yeah, who does THAT! and would stay up until Epiphany -- the twelve days of Christmas). When the chuls were all "gone" we begin dec-ing closer to Christmas, each week getting "brighter." Everything comes down the weekend closest to January 6 (or...).
Hugggggggggggggggs, Aunt Sylvia